Thursday, June 15, 2006

I love Jesus, too!

After our trip to St. John, our portable DVD player broke... quite the inconvenient occurance for a family that likes to travel! So, I took the DVD player back to Best Buy to see if they could fix it, replace it, etc.

When I got to the store, I put J.D. and Natalie in the double stroller and wheeled them into the store to customer service. The first person I encountered must have been no older than 15... and said there was 'nothing' they could do- since it was outside of the manufacturer warranty and there was no service plan on it. So, I asked to speak with a manager... for all of you who know me... this is when you say... 'oh no, here she goes...'

Well, a nice middle aged man comes from around the corner and gives me the same lines as the 15 year old... I told him the story... that we got the DVD player as a gift from my parents, only used it 3 times since Christmas, worked 2 out of the 3 times and that I was hoping he could help me by replacing it... since, clearly it never worked right... again, he told me there was nothing he could do... and then, I lost my cool... I started to cry right there in Best Buy... and I started to blubber.... something along the lines of... "my parents got us this great gift... sniff, sniff, sob, sob... for Christmas.... we can't afford to replace it.... we have another trip coming up with 2 small children.... sob, sob, sniff, sniff... my husband is a youth minister and this is a luxury item for us... sob, sob some more.... I can't even think about going on another plane ride without this thing working... sob, sob..."

And, the manager interupts by saying... "I love Jesus, too."

It was at this moment that I realized what was happening, I was appalled at myself for seemingly playing the God card... so, I just shut my mouth, packed up the broken DVD player, released the brake on the stroller and wheeled all of us out of the store...

I sat in the car and ran over the events in my head... "I love Jesus, too..." he said. What a blessing that was... what a great reminder that in the grand scheme of things... that is what really matters!

It makes for a good laugh... too.

(PS. When I told this story to my friend Lisa--- she packed up her DVD player, some Wiggles DVDs and rushed them right over so we could use them on our next trip! What blessing... I am sure glad that she loves Jesus too and that he gave her the spirit of generosity!)

No comments: